Monday, September 04, 2006

Whew

It's done. Finito. Completed. Stick a fork in it.


Completed Kimono Shawl/Baptism Blanket


Today was blocking day. I was surprised that it took four rinses to get all the gunk and dirt out of the finished item. I always knitted it with freshly washed hands, just goes to show you how easily white yarn picks up stuff.


Blocking in Progress


Blocking made this much, much larger than I anticipated. It's now 51 inches in height and 42 inches in width. I had to move furniture to make room in the spare bedroom for blocking.


Close-up on Bedspread




Close-up on Couch


Project Details
Pattern: Kimono Shawl from Folk Shawls by Cheryl Oberle, 15 pattern repeats across
Needles: US 6 Crystal Palace Bamboo Circulars
Yarn: Skacel Merino Laceweight
Project Duration: June 16, 2006 - September 4, 2006 (only project going!!)
Blocked Size: 42" by 51"



On Bed Angle


Project Thoughts
Oy! Really, it was easy sailing on this project up until I screwed up its first bind-off. What better way to learn to bind lace off l-o-o-s-e-l-y than have to fix your first attempt for a week? This was my first lace project using lace weight yarn. Another lesson learned being that Crystal Palace circulars are just not a good fit for lace weight yarn. The stitches kept catching on the joins which drove me bonkers! Oh, another lesson learned, I need to buy a blocking board. I was scrunched down on my hands and knees blocking this for quite awhile.


Wide Expanse of Lace

2 comments:

MBT said...

Gorgeous - well done!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's absolutely terrific. Nicely done!!