Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Tagged

I’ve been tagged for my top 7 songs as Loki mentioned in comments. Having a rather musical ear, I’ll stick with the songs that I like the most for musical merit and not personal emotional value. Assuming the Strongbad "Techno" email is out of running as a song, here are my top 7 in no particular order:

1. It's Magic by Eric Dolphy: Jazz flute/sax/bass clarinet(!!!) musician from the '60s. That guy could rock, errr, honk a bass clarinet! This song is a beautiful example of his wonderfully expressive technique.
2. Golden Slumbers by The Beatles: Ugh, how to pick my favs from my absolutely most favored band? I'm stuck on the lyrics for this song at the moment. Dark yet comforting at the same time.
3. I Saw Her Standing There by The Beatles: Simple, I love the bassline and have spent great amounts of time trying to get my clumsy self to be able to replicate it. Bah on my gimpy left hand pinkie finger!!
4. A Mad Russian's Christmas by Trans-Siberian Orchestra: Ok, yeah it’s technically Christmas music, but I love the blend of orchestral and rock music by Trans-Siberian Orchestra.
5. Shoot to Thrill by AC/DC: Great driving song. One of the few AC/DC songs that has a small bass break.
6. In My Room by The Beach Boys: I absolutely love three and four part harmonies and, in my opinion, this song has a wonderful use of harmonies. The idea of having a protective, cocoon-like “world where I can go and tell my secrets to” describes how I feel about my home. 
7. I Will Survive by Cake: No, not the original girl power disco version. I love the bassline in Cake’s version.

I am the non-forwarder of forwards, the breaker of chain letters, the shredder of junk mail; thus, I tag no one. Have a good one, ya'll!

1 comments:

Zoe said...

You very interesting picks. How did I know that The Beatles would be in there?
I do like Cake's version of I Will Survive.